Our Story

How we got here

Church of the Resurrection is blessed with a rich heritage in the “Three Streams” of Liturgical, Evangelical, and Charismatic faith. Throughout our history, we’ve celebrated God’s transforming work to heal and save. We are unashamed to need Jesus; we have learned through many challenges to admit our mistakes and rely on God through prayer and fasting.

A Brief Timeline

Palm Sunday 1954

Trinity Episcopal Church in Wheaton plants Church of the Resurrection, lead by Fr. Richard Winkler. Throughout the 1950s and 60s, Fr. Winkler becomes a significant figure in the charismatic renewal.

Palm Sunday 1954
1987

Fr. William Beasley becomes rector, leads Resurrection into a season of worship and growth.

1987
1995

We hold our first service at Glenbard West High School, where we remain for 18 years.

1995
1999

Fr. Stewart Ruch, III becomes rector, commits to “build the church on prayer and fasting.”

1999
2006

We take a step of faith and launch a second Sunday morning service.

2006
November 2010

A Resurrection member finds the former Alcoa building on Union Street in Wheaton and buys it at an auction.

November 2010
2010

We celebrate 30 conversions and 153 new members.

2010
2011

A record 1,500 people attend our Easter Vigil in Edman Chapel at Wheaton College.

2011
May 2011

We purchase and own a building for the first time in our church history.

May 2011
July 2012

We become a part of the Anglican Church in North America and currently work with many other midwestern churches to form a midwest diocese.

July 2012
December 2012

Building was consecrated by Bishop Frank Lyons on behalf of Archbishop Robert Duncan

December 2012
April 2013

Twenty-nine congregations with an accumulated ASA of 2500 came together at the Convening Convention to officially sign a document of agreement to form the Anglican Diocese of the Upper Midwest.

April 2013
June 2013

The ACNA College of Bishops approves the Diocese of the Upper Midwest as a new diocese, and the College elected Fr. Stewart Ruch III as bishop of the new Diocese of the Upper Midwest

June 2013
September 2013

Rev. Stewart Ruch III is consecrated Bishop

September 2013
October 2015

The Diocese of the Upper Midwest’s Diocesan Assembly delegates approved Church of the Resurrection as the Cathedral Church of the Diocese

October 2015